The Entsū-ji is the head temple for the former Nagoe School of the Jōdo Sect of Buddhism. It was established by the Venerable Ryōe in 1402. All the buildings but the main gate were destroyed by fire in 1541. In 1559, a main hall was rebuilt by the Mashiko clan on the site where the present main hall is located, and the main gate was also relocated to its present site. The main gate of the temple has been designated an important cultural property by the Japanese government.